Linen, while being one of the most frequently used clothing fabrics, also has its widest applications in the dimensions of furniture treatments, essentially upholstering and reupholstering. This lightweight, breathable, functional, and heavy-duty fabric also offers the perk of aesthetic versatility and always seems the most adorable to look at.
However, when it comes to furniture upholstery, there’s always a dire need for more structural integrity, versatility, durability, and flexibility, given the usage intensity of this lifestyle or let’s say home décor essential. So this gives rise to the major concern that whether or not, linen is efficient enough to be used as an upholstery fabric.
And if you’re settling for such a choice for the first time, then, of course, you’d be having a major indecisiveness of whether to go for it or not. But the good thing is that The Upholstery Master has totally got you on this!
Linen Usage As An Upholstery Fabric
Up ahead is the compilation of the merits and demerits of using linen as a fabric for upholstering furniture, along with everything you need to consider in this regard. This will help you come up with the right kind of decision making and get the best stuff for your place.
Pros Of Linen Upholstery
Following is the entire bright side of upholstering your furniture items with Linen.
It’s a completely eco-friendly
Linen comes from natural flax fiber which is something super easy to grow without the need of any helpers like fertilizers or even water, the very foundation of the eco-friendly origin of Linen. Besides, it’s a highly sustainable and biodegradable fabric and does not pose any danger to nature in any way.
It’s incredibly moisture-resistant
Linen comes with a high resistance against moisture, unlike most of the fabric types, and as an interesting fact, it becomes even stronger when wet. Besides, it has the tendency to absorb water up to 20% and won’t even feel damp. This makes it the best upholstery fabric choice for humid environments.
It’s flexibly supple
Linen, of course, is super soft to touch, feels the coziest and is incredibly flexible, as well. This way, it makes a great treatment for furniture items and a greatly promising one too. Also, linen is the easiest to dye, stain or color and gives off the finest natural looks and its breathability adds to the entire comfort provision.
It’s extremely heavy-duty
Linen is incredibly hard-wearing when it comes to performance and can easily withstand most intense uses without getting damaged in any way. Given the usage as an upholstery fabric, it shows an impressive performance and is capable of lasting literally for a lifetime, without losing its functionality.
It’s supremely low-maintenance
Linen, as compared to a number of other fabric options, is extremely easy to care for, which adds to its worth as a worthwhile option for furniture treatment. It can be washed both by hand and with the machine and is also completely okay with dry cleaning. Also, it can be easily vacuumed for the purpose of quick and everyday maintenance.
It’s totally hygienic
Thanks to the all-natural structure of linen, it’s totally hypoallergenic and since it’s highly moisture-resistant, no bacteria, mold, or mildew can grow or infest it. Therefore, it becomes a really favorable choice for those with allergies or similar concerns who are always in search of hygienic fabrication options.
Cons Of Linen Upholstery
Post all the worthwhile aspects of linen upholstery, it’s also equally important to take the (little bit) down into consideration and make a decision accordingly. That’s because while linen is an incredibly useful fabric choice, there still are chances that it might not be the right option for you to settle for.
- Linen is neither resistant to stains nor shrinkage, which makes it somewhat critical to use. Also, it can easily be wrinkled if exposed to water for longer periods of time.
- It can be a relatively expensive choice of upholstery fabric, in comparison to other options such as cotton, and the reason is the production and labor cost in the regions where flax grows.
- The fabric is much likely to get severely damaged in case of an exposure to direct Sunlight. This results in the weakening of its fibers.
Tips And Tricks For Taking Care Of Linen Upholstery
The secret to long-lasting serviceability always lies in good upkeep and you can easily sustain any given stuff more than expected, just by taking care of it the right way. With that said, here’s a bunch of useful hacks which you can consider acting upon. They will not just keep all sorts of damages at bay but will also make your linen upholstery last long.
- Treating Stains And Spills: In case of any accident, an immediate spot treatment proves extremely helpful as it makes it easy to get rid of the staining or the damage, and any delay will simply worsen the situation.
- Dealing With The Damage: Never rub any stain atop a linen upholstery surface, both liquid or solid. Simply blot it with the help of a white cloth and DO NOT RUB OR SCRUB it under any circumstances.
- Choosing The Right Cleaner: When dealing with linen upholstery, it’s best to make use of mild soap or detergent and most preferably the one which is particularly designed for this purpose. Instead of regular tap water, try using distilled water which will help lift away the staining more efficiently.
- Preventing The Sun Damage: Avoid any excessive or prolonged contact of your linen furniture upholstery with Sun as it will result in discoloration or at worst damage to the fibers.
- Protecting The Fibers: It’s good to make use of linen fabric protectants and slipcovers for keeping the damage at bay and also to keep the upholstered furniture piece in a good state. Also, you can make use of linen conditioners for making your sofas and couches smell fresher and remain glistening.
All in all, Linen is, by all means, totally worth the choice to be an upholstering fabric, given the dominating deal of benefits. Besides, the flaws can be easily overcome by ensuring good maintenance for the upholstery fabric and following all of the precautionary measures. This way, your linen furniture upholstery will be totally worth investing in and you can expect it to serve you for prolonged periods of time. Also, it’s incredibly easy to deal with, which makes it a legit win-win deal.
Hoping for our info to help you make up your minds for a suitable and sustainable furniture treating element.